|Today the State Legislature returns for the 2021-22 session. I am urging my colleagues to work together to restore a representative government in California. This representative report highlights one of my first bills of the year, the Open California Schools Act. It also includes a list of new small business resources that recently became available.
― Assemblyman Kevin Kiley
Issues and Legislation
Open California Schools Act
Today I am introducing the Open California Schools Act, urgency legislation to get our kids back in the classroom.
A new study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that elementary students across America have lost a staggering 5.5 million years of life expectancy because of learning loss from school closures. The study concludes:
“Based on the existing evidence regarding the limited role of primary school? aged children play in the transmission of COVID-19 and the heavy burden of decreased educational exposure on their health, we believe that restoring access to in-person primary school education should be an immediate national priority, even while the country awaits a vaccine.”
Learn more and share your comments online by clicking here.
In the District
New Small Business Resources
Last week the State of California announced the following new small business resources that are now available:
- Small Business Hiring Tax Credit. This program provides a $1,000 tax credit for small businesses for each new hire they make between January 1, 2020, and January 1, 2021. Interested small businesses must submit a reservation request in order to claim the credit. The deadline to apply is January 15, 2021. Learn more by clicking here.
- Small Business Sales Tax Extension. The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA) is now offering automatic three-month extensions for taxpayers with less than $1 million in taxable sales. Penalty and interest-free payment agreements will also be available to taxpayers with up to $5 million in taxable sales. Learn more by clicking here.
- Small Business Relief Grant. This program is coming soon and will assist small businesses and non-profit organizations by providing access to grants of up to $25,000. You can sign up to be notified when this program becomes available by clicking here.
- California Rebuilding Fund. Originally slated to receive $25 million to help small businesses recover, this fund has now been fully capitalized with the addition of $12.5 million. Small businesses with fewer than 50 full-time employees and revenues of less than $2.5 million may apply. Interested small businesses must submit a reservation request and are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Learn more by clicking here.
Learn more about these and other small business resources clicking here.
District Office Hours
My team is available to serve your needs and connect you with resources during this time. If you need any help dealing with state agencies, such as the EDD or DMV, we are more than happy to assist you. Here is how to connect with us:
- Call us directly at 916-774-4430
- Email Assemblymember.Kiley@assembly.ca.gov with any issues or comments on legislation
- My website also has a number of COVID-19 resources and a form where you can contact my office directly
- Finally, please follow my Facebook Page for regular updates where you can share your comments and send us a message
Our regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
State and Federal COVID-19 Resources
Below is a list of state and federal resources that are available to Californians. Please don’t hesitate to contact my office if you have questions or need help getting connected with any of these resources.
Comprehensive State Resources‚ Information‚ and Guidance
One-Stop State of California COVID-19 Website
California Portal of Job Loss Resources
California Portal for Contributions and Donations
California Portal for Health Corps and Volunteers
Public Health Resources
California Department of Public Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Small Business Resources
California Employment Development Department
California Labor and Workforce Development Agency
United States Small Business Administration
Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development
National Small Business Administration
National Federation of Independent Business
Internal Revenue Service
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
California Franchise Tax Board
Insurance and Health Care Resources
California Department of Insurance
California Department of Health Care Services
DMV‚ Housing‚ and Education Resources
California Department of Motor Vehicles
United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
California Department of Education
Mental Health‚ Veterans‚ and Other Crisis Hotlines
Crisis Text Line
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Veterans Crisis Line
National Alliance on Mental Illness HelpLine
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Disaster Distress Helpline