Do you have a grand opening or major anniversary to celebrate? We want to help commemorate your success
The El Dorado County Chamber of Commerce will provide the large, ceremonial scissors and ribbon. Chamber Diplomats, El Dorado Roses and Chamber staff will attend the event. The Chamber will help you promote your celebration through the chamber website, social media, E-news. Your invitation will be E-blasted out to the membership 2 weeks prior to your big day. It’s recommended to book a photographer as we’re not always able to have one attend.
Here are some helpful tips to make your ribbon cutting a successful event.
Contact Cathy Zuber at (530) 621-5885
Helpful Planning Tips
Because your ribbon cutting is your event, there are no set guidelines.
- Choose a date that doesn’t conflict with Chamber or community events and holidays.
- Give yourself plenty of preparation time. Four weeks is sufficient.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays are usually best days during the week for business people.
- The Chamber cannot guarantee staff attendance for weekend ribbon cuttings but you are welcome to borrow the ceremonial scissors and ribbon.
Careful consideration of the time of your event determines the atmosphere of the celebration.
The Chamber will promote your ribbon cutting in the E-newsletter as well as on the Chamber calendar. But who you invite to your event is as important as hosting the event.
Your invitations may be as simple as an email or as elaborate as a formal invitation. Be sure to include the: who, what, where, why, and when as well as a RSVP method to help plan accordingly for food and beverage.
The Chamber is happy to assist you with members that can help with your printing and public relations needs. The following are some suggestions of people to consider when creating your invitation list:
- Current, past, and potential customers
- Family and friends
- Your employees and their spouses/guests
- Those that helped you get started: banker, accountant, lawyer, architects, builder, realtor, etc.
- Neighboring business people
- Key local government officials
- Fellow Chamber members
Once your invitation is created email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org to start promotion of your celebration.
Providing time-appropriate refreshments is very well received. For example, during a morning event it is nice to offer coffee, juice, bagels, or pastries, while during a lunch or evening event offering light hors d’oeuvres or finger foods is appropriate. Enlisting the help of a caterer is often helpful. The Chamber is able to assist you with a list of current members that are happy to cater your event.
- Create an event agenda. A brief program adds focus to the event. It provides not only valuable recognition for you and your key people, but it makes the event more purposeful and permits you the opportunity to explain more about your business. The timeline we’ve found successful is for the programmatic elements to be in the middle of your event. This allows latecomers to the chance to participate in the celebration, and offers networking time before and after the main event.
- Ideas to consider include: introduction of key people that helped you make this milestone possible, speeches from leaders in the community (keep these brief), and possibly a tour of your facility if time permits and is necessary with your type of business.
- Conclude your “program” with some ceremonial or symbolic activity to commemorate the event such as a ribbon cutting for a ribbon cutting/grand opening ceremony or shoveling the first load of dirt for a groundbreaking, or the cutting of the cake for an anniversary. This is a nice way to let guests know that the program has concluded and allows for great photo opportunities.
- Have plenty of brochures, business cards, and handouts available for your guests. If possible have promotional items such as pens, magnets, mugs, etc. available to hand out.
- Have a drawing or giveaway. Winning a sample of your product or a gift certificate to a nice restaurant can add to your guests’ enjoyment and perhaps build attendance.
Please use the contact form below to request a ribbon cutting. When requesting a ribbon cutting please include your desired date in the message. Our Membership Manager will follow up with you to schedule your celebration.